Saturday, January 23, 2010

Jerk Ham!

Back in December I was watching a few Christmas specials on the Food Network...
A favourite chef of mine is Jamie Oliver...

...need I say more?
Yes I know he's happily married.
Yes I know they have three sweet little girlz.
Yes I know he's younger than me.
But he's just so darn adorable and he can cook!
[The accent doesn't hurt either!]
He even gave his wife a credit card that has NO limit!!!
NO LIMIT!!! Can life get any better?!
Ok...I'm getting sidetracked...LOL...
Chalk it up to my celebrity chef crush...
Back to reality...
Watching the show...seeing him create the jerk ham....it looked sooooo delicious!!!!
Both dh and I wanted to try it but we decided to wait until later in January when
everyone might feel like eating again...
So, we penciled it in for today!
Here's the recipe...

Jamie's Jerk Ham...
-------------------
6 bay leaves, fresh
2 T. each cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg
1 T. each sea salt, pepper, whole cloves
8 cloves garlic
whiz...
Add
1 purple onion
2 chilis...he used 8!!!
..whaz

1 c. apple juice
1 c. malt vinegar/apple cider vinegar
whiz some more...

bunch of thyme...whiz a tad more...

USE RUBBER GLOVES...
Pour over the ham and put into the fridge for a couple of days and then cook.
[We only had it in the fridge for 5 hours.]

Cook 350* for 2 hours...baste with more jerk schmoo every 30 minutes.

GLAZE..

3/4 c. marmalade and splash of apple juice...smear marmalade onto ham.

BACK in the oven...baste every 7 minutes for 1/2 an hour.

********PUT FOIL ON PAN********
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
It turned out sooooo well!
And it was soooooo tasty!!!
Looks great doesn't it?!

The jerk seasoning is kicker!
Make sure you have a small bit of the edge with a larger inside piece and you're set!
We will most definitely be doing this recipe again!
I'm thinking Easter... we usually make ham for Easter.

1 comment:

  1. Siiigh.... can't decide which looks more yummy... Jamie or the ham.

    ReplyDelete