Saturday, April 23, 2011

M is for Mmmmm & Muffaletta!!!

Oooohhhh YES!
This IS one of my most favourite things to make/eat!
My brother was recently in New Orleans and he brought us back some olive salad.
This stuff makes any sandwich out of this world!
Upon receiving the wondrous jar of olive salad I immediately headed to the grocery store to pick up a loaf of sourdough bread and a variety of Italian cold cuts to make up this mouth watering Muffaletta sandwich!
Pick whatever meats you like and layer it up!
Here's how this one went...
First cut the loaf in half, scoop out some of the inside bread...
This stuff disappeared right away!
With 5 kiddos, dh, me and my brother about the kitchen...
yes.... GONE!
So, then I spread the cut sides with pesto and started layering things in...  
 cheese, roasted peppers, meat, olive salad...
Reverse repeat!
You can also layer in some spinach or lettuces if you like...
Then once you are 'finished' it's time to wrap the whole big sandwich in plastic wrap...
Keep it tight and then put it in the fridge with whatever is your heaviest stuff ON TOP of it.
This 'pressing' is what makes this sandwich stay together after you cut it...
I made this in the morning and we ate it for supper...
It was SO hard to wait that long...
I have made these before at night and then had them on a picnic lunch the next day...
Once I remove it from the fridge...
I slice the whole loaf sandwich in half.
I then proceed to cut each half into wedges.
You can then rewrap each wedge with plastic wrap or wax paper and refrigerate them for lunches...picnics...
But we all sat down with a tray of veggies and out Muffaletta wedges and  dove in!
YUM, YUM, YUM!!!!
I REALLY wanted another piece but this sandwich is  LOADED with all kinds of goodies so it is very filling!
I had to save a piece for tomorrow's lunch anyhow!
It's a good thing my brother brought home 2 jars of olive salad...
The first one is just about GONE!
Mmmmm.... Muffaletta!

No comments:

Post a Comment